Skype for Business now supports searching of the Skype Directory.
In the Skype for Business client, type the name of your contact in the “Find someone or dial a number” search bar. Then select “Skype Directory”, as below:
You may search for contacts using any of the following methods:
- Search by display name, example “John Smith”– This could return many results, so you might not find what you are looking for.
- Search by display name plus location, example “John Smith in Barcelona”– This will narrow the results of the search down considerably.
- Search by email, example “firstname.lastname@example.org” – This should return one result in most cases; the one that matches the specified email exactly. But if the same email is associated with more than one account, multiple results may be returned.
- Search by phone number, example “441234567890” – This should return one result in most cases; the one that matches the specified phone exactly. Phone number must include the country code (i.e. 44-20-yyyy-zzzz). If the same phone number is associated with more than one account, multiple results may be returned.
- Search by Skype ID, example “JohnSmith1456” – If exact match is found, it will be returned as the first result. Other possible “name” matches may be returned.
Add Skype for Business Contacts to Skype
You or your contact must be using the latest version of Skype (126.96.36.199 or later).
To add a Skype for Business contact to Skype, you must enter the FULL email address of the user:
There are a number of caveats:
- You must have requested Skype federation with VIA’s support team before using the Skype Directory.
- Presence may take a little while (up to 24 hours).
- Your Skype contact must be using the latest version of the Skype Windows Desktop client only (188.8.131.52 or later)(RT version not supported).
- You must be using the Skype for Business Client (not Lync 2013 client) in order to add Skype Contacts using the Skype Directory.